Some of My Favorite Things
For those who are curious, I’ve compiled a short and sweet list of some of my favorite food and kitchen-related items as well as a few odds and ends. Enjoy!
*Note: Some of these are affiliate links. When you make a purchase using one of these affiliate links, I get paid a small commission at no extra cost to you. I do use these products and highly recommend them.
- French Press – I’ve used a french press for years and love it. Nothing beats a good french press. In fact, I even have a couple of back-up travel french presses (for that unfortunate time when you drop the glass decanter and it shatters into a million pieces.) This Bodum Chambord French Press is similar to the one I use.
- Chemex – I’m also a fan of pour-over coffee – I like variety! I personally use and recommend Melitta Coffee Maker for a great cup of coffee. Not only do you get an exceptional cup of coffee, but the stainless steel carafe keeps your coffee nice and warm.
- Blender – My Nutri Ninja Blender stays on my counter top! I use it mostly for smoothies and puréeing soups. I love the fact that the motor is powerful enough to blend frozen fruit and vegetables so that I can enjoy a thick and creamy smoothie. I’ve found other blenders do not have as powerful of a motor and I end up having to add more liquid to the smoothies. That’s ok if you like a thinner smoothie, but personally I prefer a thicker smoothie.
- Cast Iron Cookware – Every kitchen needs at least one cast iron pan. For some recipes, only a cast iron skill will do – a proper cornbread for one! My absolute favorite cornbread is my mom and grandmother’s recipe! They mastered the perfect combination of flour and cornmeal that produces a hearty, yet not-too-dense bread. The pièce de résistance is that golden crust that only a cast iron skillet can produce. Another cast iron favorite: my dad’s scrambled eggs. My dad makes THE BEST scrambled eggs and he cooks them in the cast iron skillet.
- Silpat Mats – I love my Silpat Mats! I’ve had them for years and continue to use them. They are great for baking as well as for roasting vegetables. This is a great non-stick alternative to aluminum foil and parchment paper. Parchment paper is great too, but it’s not cheap. These Silpat Mats will save you lots of $$.
- Garlic-Infused Olive Oil – The Bodacious Olive has a wonderful Garlic-Infused Olive Oil that I really like. This is the perfect olive oil for cooking and for serving alongside that crusty baguette or chewy sourdough.
- Himalayan Pink Sea Salt – I prefer to cook with a good Himalayan Pink Sea Salt. Himalayan Pink Sea Salt gives food a good flavor, is less processed, does not undergo a bleaching process, and does not contain aluminum derivatives like most table salts. I feel better knowing I can generously season my foods with a healthier option.
- Coconut Oil – I use coconut oil for cooking and for a variety of household purposes. I really like Nutiva brand and find that it does not give off an overpowering coconut flavor.
- Kerry Gold Butter – I can’t say I use this butter regularly, but when I want a good quality butter and feel like splurging, I like to do so on Kerry Gold Butter.
- Avocados – I LOVE avocados! These are a staple item in my kitchen.
- Coffee – I’m rather picky when it comes to my coffee. Life’s to short to drink bad coffee, right? I’m a fan of Fairhope Roasting Company. They have a great French Roast that is dark and strong – just the way I like my coffee.